Community places and spaces are important: they can enhance the quality of life for local communities. We support projects to improve the appearance and amenities of local environments as well as developing community assets. Transforming Your Space is one such programme.
We’ve found communities have benefited from improvements to their local environment. Our Transforming Your Space evaluations help us understand what works and what doesn’t. Here we share what we’ve learned.
The benefits of improving community places and spaces include:
- better green and brown spaces
- increased volume and variety of wildlife
- lower pollution levels
- addressing problems of anti-social behaviour
- engaging young people in transforming spaces
- better relations and improved understanding between local councils and local communities
- increased community confidence and capacity.
Our evaluation also highlights key challenges. This learning helps us to address and prevent similar difficulties in future programmes:
- on-going funding is required to keep projects going
- multiple funding sources can be difficult for community groups to administer
- technical issues such as land ownership, planning and insurance can take a long time to sort out.
More about the research
Transforming Your Space was a £46.5 million UK-wide programme. Launched in 2000, it enabled people to understand, improve and care for their local environment. As with lots of our programmes, it focused on working with disadvantaged communities.
was a £46.5 million UK-wide programme. Launched in 2000, it enabled people to understand, improve and care for their local environment. As with lots of our programmes, it focused on working with disadvantaged communities.
We commissioned SQW to evaluate Transforming Your Space between 2004 and 2006.
Each year, the evaluators produced a full report and a detailed case study annex. We have also produced summaries and updates on these reports. All of these are available to download under Publications below.
- the first year reports detail how the programme and evaluation was set up
- the second year reports focus on progress
- the third year reports provide more information on progress. They also highlight overall achievements and themes.
Transforming Your Space evaluation
Transforming Your Space evaluation annex: Case studies
Transforming Your Space evaluation summary
Transforming Your Space second year report
Transforming Your Space second year report annex: Case studies
Transforming Your Space second year report summary
Transforming Your Space first year report
Transforming Your Space first year report annex: Case studies
Transforming Your Space first year report summary
Transforming Your Space: What we have supported in England