Creating opportunities for children and young people aged between 8 and 24
- Funding size:
- £10,000 - £50,000
- Total available:
- £8.9 million in year one
- Application deadline:
- See programme details
Young Start is a grants programme that distributes money from dormant bank accounts. It aims to create opportunities for children and young people aged between 8 and 24 to help them realise their potential.
Before you submit your application to us, please read our blog to help make your application complete. We can only make a decision on your application when it is fully complete.
From April 2016, we won’t accept Young Start applications from groups that have received two or more Young Start grants until at least two years after the most recent grant has ended.
Young Start can support projects that meet one or more of these outcomes:
- CONFIDENT - Children and young people have more confidence and skills.
- HEALTHY - Children and young people have better physical, mental and emotional health.
- CONNECTED - Younger and older generations are better connected and have more understanding and respect for each other.
- ENTERPRISING - Young people are better prepared for getting a job or starting a business.
- Voluntary organisations
- Community groups
- Social enterprises
- Housing associations
- Sports organisations
We expect to fund a wide range of projects for up to 2 years that will make children and young people aged 8 to 24 confident, healthy, connected or enterprising. We are keen to see projects involve young people in their development, design and delivery, as well as projects that make the most of existing resources and potential within the community.
Here are just a few examples of what a Young Start grant can pay for:
- Staff costs
- Activity costs
- Training costs
- Venue hire
- Purchasing or leasing a new vehicle
- Transport costs including travel expenses
- Materials or equipment such as IT equipment for the projects
- Publicity and marketing costs
- Equipment hire or purchase
- Volunteer expenses.